SFFA Aims and Objectives
The Subtropical Farm Forestry Association has been helping farm foresters and others, since 1993, in their endeavours to plan, design and implement farm forestry projects on their properties.
Why farm forestry?
Farm forestry is important for income diversity and long term commercial stability, at the same time it achieves a range of environmental and conservation benefits which enable farming to become more sustainable. Products range from timber, soil stability, beneficial wildlife, improved water values, shade for stock, windbreaks, natural pest control and other forest products like oils and medicines. Additional value can be gained from farm forestry through tax incentives, carbon credits, real-estate and aesthetic values.
Aims and objectives
- To foster and promote the commercially viable, socially and ecological sustainable establishment and management of trees on private and public land.
- To foster and promote all aspects of perennial tree crops through the establishment of special interest groups such as cabinet timbers, lobbying, plantation timbers, agroforestry, bushfoods, polyculture and any other activity deemed of sufficient interest to members.
- To foster and facilitate co-operative marketing efforts and collective purchases of trees and materials for farm forestry purposes.
- To promote and engage in educational programs, relevant research and extension, and the flow of information to those planting trees on private land.
- In keeping with the above aims, to liaise with all other bodies including community, government and industry.
Membership consists mostly of farmers and other land owners who are undertaking farm forestry for commercial and conservation values, integrating tree systems into their farm production.
The organisation provides a comprehensive advisory service to members and others.
Costs of membership
Students: $16.50 Individuals: $33.00 Business: $66.00 Corporate:$132
- Current information on commercial opportunities
- Access to seminars, field days, conferences, research trials and demonstrations
- Free professional advisory service
- (Low cost) Assistance with preparation of Farm Forestry Plans(site reports), financial projections, project design and specific market information.
- Introductory farm forestry workshops.